The Church of St Cuthbert
The Church of St Cuthbert, in the hamlet of Carham, is in a beautiful setting on the south bank of the River Tweed. It was built in 1790, on the site of a much earlier church, to a design by Richard Hodgson Huntley (politician, railway entrepreneur and lord of the manor). The chancel and tower were added in 1870. The church, and its gates, are Grade II listed.
There are two tin chapels in Carham parish, one at Mindrum Station and one at Howburn. Not much is known about them, but they are believed to date to the late 19th century. Corrugated iron buildings of this kind, which were manufactured and supplied in kit form, were cheap to buy and easy to construct. Similar buildings can be found across the globe, as well as throughout the UK, as many were exported.
The chapel at Mindrum Station – St Mary’s Mission Church – was attached to the Church of St Gregory the Great in the parish of Kirknewton. Church services were held in it until the late 1970s. The beautifully-carved reredos depicting the Holy Family that was given to St Mary’s Mission Church by the Selby family is now in St Gregory’s, as are the font and a First World War memorial – see our Memorials and Monuments page.
Both tin chapels are now privately owned but can be seen from the public road.
An old walled graveyard (left) lies between Mindrum Mill and Mindrum.
The tiny walled graveyard at West Learmouth appears to have been neglected for a very long time. Complaints about its condition can be found in the parish records as far back as the 1920s.