The Church of St Cuthbert
The Church of St Cuthbert, in the hamlet of Carham, is in a beautiful setting on the south bank of the River Tweed. It was built in 1790, on the site of a much earlier church, to a design by Richard Hodgson Huntley (politician, railway entrepreneur and lord of the manor). The chancel and tower were added in 1870. The church, and its gates, are Grade II listed.
There are two tin chapels in Carham parish, one at Mindrum Station and one at Howburn. Not much is known about them, but they are believed to date to the late 19th century. Corrugated iron buildings of this kind, which were manufactured and supplied in kit form, were cheap to buy and easy to construct. Similar buildings can be found across the globe, as well as throughout the UK, as many were exported.
The chapel at Mindrum Station – St Mary’s Mission Church – was attached to St Gregory’s church in the parish of Kirknewton. Services were held there until the late 1970s. The beautifully-carved reredos depicting the Holy Family that was given to St Mary’s is now in St Gregory’s, as are the font and a First World War memorial – see our Memorials and Monuments page.
Both tin chapels are now privately owned but can be seen from the public road.
An old walled graveyard, which is not attached to a church, lies between Mindrum Mill and Mindrum.